From: Timur Aydin <ta@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sync'ed my ~x86 system yesterday and now resolver stopped working
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 21:58:48
1 Graham Murray wrote:
2 > Timur Aydin <ta@××××××.org> writes:
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >> I have synced my ~x86 system yesterday and after it completed, the
8 >> resolver doesn't work for some programs anymore. For example, ping
9 >> <hostname> says "unknown host name". It doesn't even contact the dns
10 >> server, which is running on the same host. But dig <hostname> works
11 >> fine. Also, using the IP address directly, I can access the internet.
12 >>
13 >> I am suspecting that the new glibc 2.10 is causing this. Anybody else
14 >> having this issue?
17 > I had this issue a couple of weeks ago. I think it was the upgrade to
18 > net-dns/openresolv-3.3.2 which was responsible. The solution was to
19 > edit etc/resolvconf.conf and uncomment the line
20 > name_servers=127.0.0.1
23 That's what I tried yesterday and it resolved the problem. So it seems
24 the new resolver does not default to checking localhost as a dns server
25 and needs to be explicitely told to do so...
28 Timur