From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] Question of quantum computer
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 11:35:46
1 On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > What a revelation about at least a minority of Gentoo users !
4 > -- philosophers of science + math, besides well-trained physicists.
7 I think at least half of us on the Council have degrees in the
8 physical sciences.
9
10 I work mostly with scientists and I have to say that in the last 10
11 years the embrace of FOSS by scientists has been considerable. Who
12 wants to beg the boss for money and with IT for support of SAS when
13 you can just download R and install it yourself, and so on? Of
14 course, it tends to also lead to a bit of a mess when that little tool
15 that was thrown together ends up being depended upon by an entire
16 department and isn't up to it.
19 Rich