From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] Question of quantum computer
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 15:41:46
1 On 04/04/2015 13:35, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> What a revelation about at least a minority of Gentoo users !
5 >> -- philosophers of science + math, besides well-trained physicists.
8 > I think at least half of us on the Council have degrees in the
9 > physical sciences.
10 >
11 > I work mostly with scientists and I have to say that in the last 10
12 > years the embrace of FOSS by scientists has been considerable. Who
13 > wants to beg the boss for money and with IT for support of SAS when
14 > you can just download R and install it yourself, and so on? Of
15 > course, it tends to also lead to a bit of a mess when that little tool
16 > that was thrown together ends up being depended upon by an entire
17 > department and isn't up to it.
20 So it's not any different to how enterprise works then? Like the
21 cobbled-together mush of perl and bash (that does emerge over ssh in a
22 for loop) becomes the one critical app in all of IT that the ISO-9000
23 and something cert totally depends on? I've written such perl and bash
24 myself...
25
26 I recently had the pleasure of converting a small version of that to
27 Ansible. That was fun.
30 Alan McKinnon
31 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com