From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] file system failure after emerge -DuN @system
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:01:19
1 Hi,
2 An old machine hadn't been turned on in a few months. I decided I
3 try getting it up to date so I went through an emerge cycle to see if
4 I could get things going. It was a little picky about upgrading udev
5 but at the time I thought it had gone OK, but possibly not. emerge
6 -DuN @system completed without errors, running it again said there was
7 nothing to update, python-updater ran fine, as did revdep-rebuild.
8 However when I rebooted I see messages when starting udev:
9
10 inotify_init failed: fnction not implemented
11
12 and then
13
14 No /sbin/udevd found running; None killed
15
16 and then
17
18 * Checking root filesystem
19 fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda7
20
21 and then messages about the superblock being wrong. The machines
22 accepts me logging in and the file system seems to be there but the
23 machine is clearly not happy.
24
25 Maybe this isn't worth the effort and I'd be better off doing a new
26 install, but before I go down that path I thought I'd see what actions
27 I might take first. The kernel hasn't been changed. (2.6.29 vintage so
28 not horribly old) I do think that gcc and glibc got upgraded with
29 @system.
30
31 Note that before the @system update there were two drives in the
32 system, /dev/sda and /dev/hda. After the update it started showing
33 /dev/sda twice so I unplugged the second drive. (It was video storage
34 on on old MythTV backend and should be necessary at all.) Now the
35 system shows one drive but fails as above.
36
37 Ideas?
38
39 Thanks,