From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: file system failure after emerge -DuN @system
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 02:12:24
1 On 01/14/2010 01:33 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > An old machine hadn't been turned on in a few months. I decided I
4 > try getting it up to date so I went through an emerge cycle to see if
5 > I could get things going. It was a little picky about upgrading udev
6 > but at the time I thought it had gone OK, but possibly not. emerge
7 > -DuN @system completed without errors, running it again said there was
8 > nothing to update, python-updater ran fine, as did revdep-rebuild.
9 > However when I rebooted I see messages when starting udev:
10 >
11 > inotify_init failed: fnction not implemented...
12
13 inotify_init is provided by glibc, so that seems to be important. That
14 machine seems to have some mismatched components, but which ones?
15
16 It's important that glibc be compiled with the kernel headers that are
17 actually installed on your machine, so the order of package upgrading
18 does matter, at least when system libs like glibc are involved.
19
20 E.g. if glibc was updated *before* the kernel-headers package then you
21 might expect such problems. Of course, I have no idea if that's what
22 happened to you.
23
24 On my x86 I have linux-headers-2.6.27-r2 and glibc-2.10.1-r1. I see
25 that all of my linux-headers files are dated 2009-08-24, and glibc
26 was updated just this week. You may want to check to see which of
27 those packages was installed earlier.
28
29 Does the machine run well enough that you can reinstall both glibc
30 and udev again?