From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: file system failure after emerge -DuN @system
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:44:06
1 On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 6:10 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 01/14/2010 01:33 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Hi,
5 >>    An old machine hadn't been turned on in a few months. I decided I
6 >> try getting it up to date so I went through an emerge cycle to see if
7 >> I could get things going. It was a little picky about upgrading udev
8 >> but at the time I thought it had gone OK, but possibly not. emerge
9 >> -DuN @system completed without errors, running it again said there was
10 >> nothing to update, python-updater ran fine, as did revdep-rebuild.
11 >> However when I rebooted I see messages when starting udev:
12 >>
13 >> inotify_init failed: fnction not implemented...
14 >
15 > inotify_init is provided by glibc, so that seems to be important. That
16 > machine seems to have some mismatched components, but which ones?
17 >
18 > It's important that glibc be compiled with the kernel headers that are
19 > actually installed on your machine, so the order of package upgrading
20 > does matter, at least when system libs like glibc are involved.
21 >
22 > E.g. if glibc was updated *before* the kernel-headers package then you
23 > might expect such problems.  Of course, I have no idea if that's what
24 > happened to you.
25 >
26 > On my x86 I have linux-headers-2.6.27-r2 and glibc-2.10.1-r1. I see
27 > that all of my linux-headers files are dated 2009-08-24, and glibc
28 > was updated just this week.  You may want to check to see which of
29 > those packages was installed earlier.
30 >
31 > Does the machine run well enough that you can reinstall both glibc
32 > and udev again?
33
34 Not right now. After the boot complains that the super block isn't
35 right the disk is getting mounted read only. I cannot even edit a file
36 with vi.