From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: file system failure after emerge -DuN @system
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:26:46
1 On 15 Jan, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 6:10 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 01/14/2010 01:33 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Hi,
6 >>>    An old machine hadn't been turned on in a few months. I decided I
7 >>> try getting it up to date so I went through an emerge cycle to see if
8 >>> I could get things going. It was a little picky about upgrading udev
9 >>> but at the time I thought it had gone OK, but possibly not. emerge
10 >>> -DuN @system completed without errors, running it again said there was
11 >>> nothing to update, python-updater ran fine, as did revdep-rebuild.
12 >>> However when I rebooted I see messages when starting udev:
13 >>>
14 >>> inotify_init failed: fnction not implemented...
15 >>
16 >> inotify_init is provided by glibc, so that seems to be important. That
17 >> machine seems to have some mismatched components, but which ones?
18 >>
19 >> It's important that glibc be compiled with the kernel headers that are
20 >> actually installed on your machine, so the order of package upgrading
21 >> does matter, at least when system libs like glibc are involved.
22 >>
23 >> E.g. if glibc was updated *before* the kernel-headers package then you
24 >> might expect such problems.  Of course, I have no idea if that's what
25 >> happened to you.
26 >>
27 >> On my x86 I have linux-headers-2.6.27-r2 and glibc-2.10.1-r1. I see
28 >> that all of my linux-headers files are dated 2009-08-24, and glibc
29 >> was updated just this week.  You may want to check to see which of
30 >> those packages was installed earlier.
31 >>
32 >> Does the machine run well enough that you can reinstall both glibc
33 >> and udev again?
34 >
35 > Not right now. After the boot complains that the super block isn't
36 > right the disk is getting mounted read only. I cannot even edit a file
37 > with vi.
38
39 Try booting by using a rescue CD (www.sysresccd.org)
40 fsck your root disk
41 chroot to your root disk
42 then try to repair your system (e.g. building/installing
43 a new kernel)
44
45 Helmut.
48 Helmut Jarausch