From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: file system failure after emerge -DuN @system
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 18:12:44
1 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> writes:
2
3 >>> Does the machine run well enough that you can reinstall both glibc
4 >>> and udev again?
5 >>
6 >> Not right now. After the boot complains that the super block isn't
7 >> right the disk is getting mounted read only. I cannot even edit a file
8 >> with vi.
9 >
10 > Try booting by using a rescue CD (www.sysresccd.org)
11 > fsck your root disk
12 > chroot to your root disk
13 > then try to repair your system (e.g. building/installing
14 > a new kernel)
17 Something similar has happened here in the past, it was related to
18 fsck being called inappropriately.
19
20 At least a few times I was able to remount things after the initial
21 boot ended up with read only filesystem using the command:
22
23 `mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda_whatever /'
24
25 Or maybe just:
26
27 `mount -o remount,rw /'
30 To remount in place
31
32 After boot came up `read only' it worked apparently since the timing
33 wasn't a factor then.
34
35 But you might try that command first to see if you can do repairs that way.