From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: make menuconfig
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 03:30:30
1 James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:
4 > <vetrocemento <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 <in private email to me, which I choose to post here:
6
7 "thanks for precious link to the wiki.
8 though, I was lookin for advices to maintain kernel size as small as possible
9 (and have a fast
10 boot up), not simply to configure it, but the wiki is pretty exhaustive, so I'll
11 use it to make some
12 .configs and test them.
13 again, thanks
14 G "
15
16 Well, you are welcome. We that use gentoo are very proud of
17 our distro, event tho we argue amongst ourselves, it's to make
18 gentoo better for everyone to use.....
19
20 Using gentoo is not easy, as you have 100% control over your
21 hardware and OS.
22
23 That said, I posted what I posted to make a point, that we (imho)
24 need documentation other than genkernel for folks to use to
25 address issues such as you have articulated. I'm not saying
26 it would be easy, but, that questions on kernel building come
27 up time and time again.....
28
29 If you have specific questions, please ask them on this list.
30 Despite the fact that 'old hacks' take pot-shots at one another,
31 your questions are our concern; so don't be shy about asking
32 for help on this group. After all, most folks on this list
33 have learned to ignore my musings, unless it merits additional
34 verbiage.
37 Now, how to make a small kernel. Well for starters you can add -Os
38 such as what I have done for this 586 machine this
39 line to your make.conf file:
40
41 CFLAGS="-Os -march=i586 "
42
43 the -Os is to build a small kernel, here is some links that will help:
44
45 http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Module-HOWTO/#AEN73
46
47 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml
48
49 http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags
52 < there is some urls that further discuss the -Os option for
53 building small, but I cannot find them. Maybe someone else
54 will add these links to this thread, or you can google them
55 directly>
56
57 As far as make menuconfig, just use loadable modules to keep the
58 kernel size small, and eliminate as much as you can. Eliminate
59 a few items, rebuild a kernel and test frequently. Continue (repeat)
60 until you get a small, fast kernel that runs on your limited
61 resources as you like.
62
63 As far as fast booting, check into the parallel booting (whatever)
64 that is fairly new. I have not explored it yet, but, others
65 on this list know about speeding up the boot process.
68 hth,
69
70 James