From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Easy dialup for unprivileged user
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:59:36
1 * Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz> wrote:
2
3 > Now it pretty much does - but to trigger the ppp interface 'up' state I
4 > find myself doing stuff like:
5 >
6 > $ ping <ip of ISP nameserver>
7 >
8 > or similar, because hostname access will just return "host not found"
9 > immediately without trying to bring the link up.
10
11 You could simply ping some fixed IPs somewhere in the wide world.
12
13 But I'm not shure if you really want such an quite uncontrollable
14 automatic dialup or probably some button for "Dialup"/"Hangup" on
15 the desktop ? For that way you need some way of privilege switching
16 (w/o password). "su-wrapper" (not yet in portage) is your friend :)
19 cu
20 --
22 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
24 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
25 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
26 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
27 http://patches.metux.de/
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list