From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Easy dialup for unprivileged user
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 04:05:48
1 I'm looking at setting up a Gentoo box for my mother to use. One thing
2 I'd like some input on is the business of dialing up.
3
4 The constraints are that she must be able to dial up as an unprivileged
5 user, and it must be easy (She will be migrating from an old imac
6 running osx, so I want to make it as painless as possible!)
7
8 I'm currently favoring the method outlined in:
9
10 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_a_Dialup_Connection#The_best_way:_Gentoo.27s_Network_Configuration
11
12 specifically using Gentoo's /etc/conf.d/net with pppd configured for
13 *on-demand* dialing, so it 'just happens' when needed.
14
15 Now it pretty much does - but to trigger the ppp interface 'up' state I
16 find myself doing stuff like:
17
18 $ ping <ip of ISP nameserver>
19
20 or similar, because hostname access will just return "host not found"
21 immediately without trying to bring the link up. So while this
22 workaround is ok for me, I would like to get it so that the ppp
23 interface comes up more intuitively (or am I missing something
24 obvious?... that would be nice!).
25
26 regards
27