From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Easy dialup for unprivileged user
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 14:08:04
1 On Saturday 30 December 2006 22:00, Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
2 wrote about '[gentoo-user] Easy dialup for unprivileged user':
3 > Now it pretty much does - but to trigger the ppp interface 'up' state I
4 > find myself doing stuff like:
5 >
6 > $ ping <ip of ISP nameserver>
7 >
8 > or similar, because hostname access will just return "host not found"
9 > immediately without trying to bring the link up. So while this
10 > workaround is ok for me, I would like to get it so that the ppp
11 > interface comes up more intuitively (or am I missing something
12 > obvious?... that would be nice!).
13
14 You might try running a local, caching-only nameserver. That may bring up
15 ppp as needed by changing how your hostname resolution works. In
16 particular, I'm betting that your hostname resolution is currently
17 programmed specifically NOT to bring up an interface, while bind or
18 dnscache oe w/e (when queried by your resolver) will not be as "smart" an
19 send a DNS request to an IP, as needed. [If not needed, it will resolve
20 the hostname to an IP address and your other application (browser, email,
21 w/e) will use that IP (and wake up your ppp device).]
22
23 (Just shooting from the hip here, though so, no guarantees.)
24
25 In any case, a local, caching-only nameserver will still "speed up" your
26 dial-up connection for DNS "intensive" tasks -- like web browsing. So,
27 you work setting one up (which should be minimal) will not be for naught.
30 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
31 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
32 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
33 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh