From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Easy dialup for unprivileged user
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 22:20:58
1 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 > On Saturday 30 December 2006 22:00, Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
3 > wrote about '[gentoo-user] Easy dialup for unprivileged user':
4 >> Now it pretty much does - but to trigger the ppp interface 'up' state I
5 >> find myself doing stuff like:
6 >>
7 >> $ ping <ip of ISP nameserver>
8 >>
9 >> or similar, because hostname access will just return "host not found"
10 >> immediately without trying to bring the link up. So while this
11 >> workaround is ok for me, I would like to get it so that the ppp
12 >> interface comes up more intuitively (or am I missing something
13 >> obvious?... that would be nice!).
14 >
15 > You might try running a local, caching-only nameserver. That may bring up
16 > ppp as needed by changing how your hostname resolution works. In
17 > particular, I'm betting that your hostname resolution is currently
18 > programmed specifically NOT to bring up an interface, while bind or
19 > dnscache oe w/e (when queried by your resolver) will not be as "smart" an
20 > send a DNS request to an IP, as needed. [If not needed, it will resolve
21 > the hostname to an IP address and your other application (browser, email,
22 > w/e) will use that IP (and wake up your ppp device).]
23 >
24 > (Just shooting from the hip here, though so, no guarantees.)
25 >
26 > In any case, a local, caching-only nameserver will still "speed up" your
27 > dial-up connection for DNS "intensive" tasks -- like web browsing. So,
28 > you work setting one up (which should be minimal) will not be for naught.
31 Yeah - thanks, great suggestion. I've give that a try. I run a caching
32 only nameserver for my own desktop system for exactly the performance
33 reasons you mentioned above, so setup is not problem.
34
35 Cheers
36
37 Mark