From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New USE Flags, Emerge -e world --> Broken systems -- PLEASE HELP
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 15:31:36
1 On 5/17/06, Timothy A. Holmes <tholmes@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Hi folks - I have a major problem brewing here im afraid:
3 >
4 > I have several systems that I had originally built with the Gentoo
5 > installer disk -- As such they have a very large group of use flags, and
6 > a fairly large genkernel. In wanting to lean them out and optimize them
7 > for running, went in, rebuilt the kernel, and apparently with a bad
8
9 genkernel does not use USE flags, so, that's not related, probably.
10 Someone will tell if I'm wrong.
11
12 > understanding of how portage and the USE flags interact, removed all the
13 > use flags, changed them to:
14 >
15 > USE="-*"
18 Heh, once I tried that... Its better leave it empty than putting this.
19 You CAN put "-*", but then you would have to create a fairly large
20 packages.use in order to get a working system. That includes every
21 package listed in "emerge -pv world" with an entry.
22
23 Remove that option, start with minimal USE flags and reemerge world.
24 You're lucky you didn't try emerge -e system after that.
25
26 > and ran emerge -e world. The processes have all failed, and now I have
27 > broken systems -- for example, eterm wont start at all, nor will it
28 > build on a re-install, firefox is messed up (the fonts look funny) and
29 > im starting to panic. Is there any way short of rebuilding these
30 > systems to get things working right again?
31
32 You're lucky that you still have a working system after all. You even
33 get a working portage, so, nothing to worry about. Fix your flags and
34 reemerge world.
37 Daniel da Veiga
38 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list