From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} ISP requires MTU below 1500?
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 19:15:29
1 Am Wed, 21 Sep 2016 10:43:39 -0700
2 schrieb Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>:
3
4 > >> Maybe run a ping to a destination which you are having problems
5 > >> with, then reproduce the problem (with the network idle
6 > >> otherwise). You should see ping packets dropped only then.
7 > >>
8 > >> You can also ping with increasing packet sizes (see ping --help)
9 > >> and see when the packet becomes too big for path MTU. But instead
10 > >> lowering your MTU then, you should allow icmp-fragmentation-needed
11 > >> come through reliably. Lowering MTU only makes sense to stop
12 > >> overly fragmentation in the first place and optimize for a
13 > >> specific packet path (like traffic through one or multiple VPN
14 > >> tunnels) where fragmentation would otherwise increase latency a
15 > >> lot, or where icmp-frag-needed does not correctly work.
18 > > I'll try pinging today once the issue pops up.
21 > I'm seeing the issue again as usual but ping response times come back
22 > normal at about 50ms. I'll keep trying.
23
24 Not sure if this came after or before switching your router to modem
25 mode... But if it happened before and is solved now, your router really
26 doesn't well with icmp packets or has problems with mss clamping / pmtu.
30 Regards,
31 Kai
32
33 Replies to list-only preferred.