From: Sarah <sarah@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xmms alternative
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 06:35:27
1 Dotan Cohen wrote:
2 > On 23/10/06, Arnau Bria <arnau@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 08:08:08 -0400
4 >> Dave V wrote:
5 >>
6 >> > Hello,
7 >> Hi,
8 >>
9 >> > I just read on the gentoo-dev list that xmms is about to be removed,
10 >> > but it's probably the only sound player that I've used. Could someone
11 >> > recommend a good alternative. I'm rather surprised that no one wanted
12 >> > to maintain the packages.
13 >>
14 >> you should, not should, you MUST use Amarok :-)
15 >>
16 >> Cheers!
17 >
18 > I second that. My search for the ultimate music player has stopped
19 > with Amarok. Absolutely brilliant. Name a feature- lyrics? wikipedia
20 > integration? It's got it.
21 >
22 > Dotan Cohen
23 >
24 > http://rorot.com
25 > http://what-is-what.com/what_is/linux.html
26 Hi, I'm new to the list but have been lurking for a while... so forgive
27 the slightly long post (bits of 'background' included to put things in
28 context)
29
30 I tried to get on with Amarok - I tried on my Ubuntu install before I
31 discovered Gentoo... thought I'd be bound to get it working with Gentoo
32 but couldn't... and tried Rhythmbox in desperation to have something
33 play music.
34
35 From what I've seen of Amarok, I'd love it, but I every time I've
36 installed it I've run into the same problems:
37
38 All our music (about 80 Gb, I think, mainly (but not all) OGG files) is
39 stored on a server, accessed on a mounted Samba share. The share would
40 mount correctly - and I tried mounting it with a variety of permissions
41 set - but I couldn't get Amarok to 'read' the music collection
42 successfully. I read various man/wiki/help pages which were supposed to
43 get it working but I couldn't - and when Amarok bombed out it would take
44 the system with it - things would lock up and I ended up have to reboot
45 (!) and/or have major problems getting sound to work at all (it seemed
46 to come and go, almost without reason).
47
48 I'm a relative newbie with linux and have only had my gentoo install up
49 and running for about a month now... but I have managed to get most
50 other things sorted by *lots* of reading/Googling. I started off with
51 kde, removed that (despite really giving KDE a really good go, I still
52 wanted to go back to my Gnome comfort zone!) and installed gnome-light,
53 unmasked the ~x86 packages that gnome-light pulled in and upgraded
54 them... and sound works at last. And Rhythmbox works - but I don't like
55 it (never have). I had xmms on my Ubuntu install... and had emerged it
56 (now unmerged) to use with Gentoo... and would love to have a simple,
57 working Amarok... but I haven't got my bravery together to embark on
58 trying again!
59
60 I can't help thinking the problem lies with my (lack of) understanding
61 of samba - our Squeezebox serves up the music from the samba share
62 beautifully - so I'm not sure what I'm getting wrong in how I mount the
63 share (mounting exactly the same way is fine for Rhythmbox) for Amarok
64 to read. Maybe I'll have another go one day soon! If anyone has any
65 hot tips or pointers that might help, I'd be grateful - I think I'll
66 tear all my hair out if I try to emerge it again and end up with big
67 problems with my system (I so want to avoid a problem that I'll be doing
68 a full system backup before I have a go).
69
70 I wouldn't vote for rhythmbox. I might try audacious instead. But I'd
71 really like a working amarok!
72
73 Sarah
77 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list