From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine: incremental back-ups
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 12:56:23
1 On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 13:43:13 +0200, Michael Hampicke wrote:
2
3 > Hm, dar looks interesting. I'll have a look at it. The man page states
4 > that it is possible to restore individual files from an dar archive
5 > without reading the complete file (in contrast to tar). Is this also
6 > true when using compression and/or encryption? Would be a great feature
7 > for fast single file restores (Just mount the offsite location with
8 > sshfs or similar and tell dar to restore file25 from my 500GB backup
9 > without having to transfer the whole damn thing :) )
10
11 The way I do it is to use the split feature to split the archive into
12 manageable chunks. It helps when an upload fails and when restoring you
13 just grab the catalog, try to restore from that and it tells you which
14 file(s) it needs.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 People who eat natural foods die from natural causes.