From: Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine: incremental back-ups
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 11:45:08
1 Am 04.10.2012 12:37, schrieb Neil Bothwick:
2 > On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 10:25:53 +0200, Michael Hampicke wrote:
3 >
4 >> I am using http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/ (in portage) which brings
5 >> some nice features like compression, de-duplication and a web interface.
6 >> Once configured it runs automatically.
7 >
8 > +1 for BackupPC
9 >
10 >> What do you use for cloud/offsite backups? I am still searching for the
11 >> perfect solution. Requirements: backups must be encrypted, delta-sync,
12 >> and being able to resume interrupted transfers to the offsite location.
13 >
14 > I have a Python script that uses a combination of dar,
15 > to create encrypted backups locally, and boto to upload them to S3. I used
16 > duplicity some years ago and found it consumed enormous amounts of
17 > bandwidth, more than my ISP provided at the time.
18
19 Hm, dar looks interesting. I'll have a look at it. The man page states
20 that it is possible to restore individual files from an dar archive
21 without reading the complete file (in contrast to tar). Is this also
22 true when using compression and/or encryption? Would be a great feature
23 for fast single file restores (Just mount the offsite location with
24 sshfs or similar and tell dar to restore file25 from my 500GB backup
25 without having to transfer the whole damn thing :) )