From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Deprecated installed packages
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 03:06:09
1 On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 07:38:43AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 20 May 2010 06:34:37 Willie Wong wrote:
3 > > Hi list,
4 > >
5 > > I ran 'eclean-dist' last night (with no additional arguments) to clean
6 > > out /usr/portage/distfiles. And it generated a bit of interesting
7 > > output that I haven't seen before:
8 > >
9 > > The folowing Deprecated installed packages were found
10 > > media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r1
11 > > dev-python/reportlab-2.3-r1
12 > > app-i18n/gcin-1.4.7_pre17
13 > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.31-r9
14 > > dev-perl/URI-1.53
15 > > dev-java/sun-jdk-1.5.0.22
16 > >
17 > > I don't see anything about this feature in 'man eclean'; does anyone know
18 > > what this is all about?
19 >
20 > It means those package version are deprecated and you are encouraged to
21 > upgrade them.
24 Ah... I see, I was trying to figure out what they meant by deprecated
25 and how they determined it. It seems that the only thing common to
26 those packages is that their ebuilds are no-longer in the tree.
27
28 So I guess I'm not going to worry too much about it: if they haven't
29 gotten updated regularly that probably means they are either bdeps or
30 that they will be depcleaned the next time I do it.
31
32 Cheers,
33
34 W
37 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
38 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
39 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton