From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: evolution segfault and other b0rkage
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 05:41:48
1 On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 19:08 -0800, walt wrote:
2 > On 01/11/2010 03:11 PM, Iain Buchanan wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > I've done some updates around Jan 4 - 8 which has borken evolution - it
6 > > segfaults when retrieving imap mail. I had a look at the trace and
7 > > started recompiling (note - same versions) some random libs (libbonobo,
8 > > dbus-glib, gtkhtml, etc.) and then I couldn't log in or start firefox.
9 > > hm.
10 > >
11 > > I've recompiled further and got back to square one (there were dbus
12 > > breakages for some reason) - evolution segfaults...
13 >
14 > With multiple breakages and the sand apparently shifting beneath your
15 > feet, I'd be wondering about filesystem corruption. I've been through
16 > the same updates (x86 and ~amd64) and evolution is working perfectly.
17 >
18 > Have you fsck'd your filesystems recently?
19
20 yes, in fact I have fck'd my filesystem :) I recovered most of it
21 though from backups and fsck.ext3.
22
23 I ended up moving the ~/.evolution/mail/imap/<account>/ folder out of
24 the way and restarting evo. It seemed to fix the problems!
25
26 Having a look at the source code there are lots of macros duplicated in
27 evolution, and lots of system calls that don't check NULL pointers
28 first... I wonder if they know about pc-lint!
29
30 anyway I made a bug report and some patches so we'll see.
31
32 thanks,
36 Prof: So the American government went to IBM to come up with a data
37 encryption standard and they came up with ...
38 Student: EBCDIC!"