From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: new linux router
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 11:30:10
1 On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 02:03:48AM +0000, James wrote:
2
3 > > For the distribution, I'd recommend Alpine:
4 > > http://www.alpinelinux.org/about
5 >
6 > Why would that be better than putting lilblue (gentoo) on
7 > the board. Maybe somebody who has success with booting off
8 > of usb (and that definitely is not me) could test lilblue
9 > on an alix2d3 board?
10
11 I don't know much Lilblue but it looks like a somewhat recent project.
12
13 Alpine started back in 2005. It's based on portage to build the
14 distribution but uses the apk-tools that fit better for embedded
15 systems, IMHO.
16
17 Also, Alpine comes with a very lightweight minimal installation,
18 reliable toolchain to build the distribution and uses openrc. The well
19 known debian-like configuration files allow new maintainers to quickly
20 be comfortable with the device.
21
22 The recent move to musl over uClibc is a good thing too, FMPOV.
23
24 I expect Alpine to have a wider community than Lilblue.
25
26 > How did you have your make.conf files (or similar under Alpine) set up?
27
28 You don't have make.conf on the target. Embedded devices are bad at
29 compiling. With Alpine, you cross-compile the target from your
30 desktop/server/VM.
31
32 > If I go this route, I'd really rather run gentoo or something
33 > quite similar, rather than a distro I not familiar with.
34
35 On the target device, apk-tools are very easy to use and requires MUCH
36 less time/ressources than emerge.
37
38 Quiet frankly, Alpine doesn't require specific skills. I've started with
39 the binary provided by the maintainers and never had to compile any
40 package myself.
41
42 > > That's the combo I used in a recent past and it worked quiet fine
43 > > (802.1q VLAN, traffic shaping with tc, advanced firewall with scripted
44 > > iptables rules, ethernet cards controlled with ethtool (I could fix
45 > > speed/duplex for incompatible network hardware), ssh, etc).
46 >
47 > I'm not familiar with Alpine linux. How many of your scripts would be
48 > useful on gentoo? If what you did is sensitive, just drop to me privately.....
49
50 Sorry, I can't. I don't have them anymore while I'm sure they are still
51 used in production.
52
53 It's something easy to do, though. The scripts themselves are
54 distribution agnostic. E.g. my ipfilter service only used $IPTABLES. The
55 only thing to update are the service files for openrc, systemd, upstart,
56 whatever.
59 Nicolas Sebrecht