From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] S.O.P.A and P.I.P.A and the blackout.
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 01:32:38
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday 19 Jan 2012 23:20:44 Dale wrote:
3 >> Chris Walters wrote:
4 >
5 >> I'm starting to see this now. When I sign a message, it is public but
6 >> people are assured that it came from me. Sort of like having a check
7 >> with a picture ID that matches. :/
8 >
9 > Better than that.
10 >
11 > Readers (all that have access to this list) can a)see that you have signed it
12 > and b)rest assured that no one has tampered with its content since you signed.
13 > If anyone intercepted the message mid-air and changed its content, your
14 > signature would show as bad in the recipients mail client (assuming they have
15 > a GnuPG/PGP compatible client).
16 >
17 > BTW, your signature is not showing in Kmail ... are you using inline or
18 > opengpg/smime format?
22 I don't have mine set up to sign them all. I did a couple to see if it
23 worked or not. Whenever I sign a message, it asks for the password. It
24 is quite a long password and I don't want to type it in every time I
25 send something.
28 >>> You could then encrypt a message to me, and you could add yourself
29 >>> to the recipient list so you could read it. Then, when I received
30 >>> the message, I would be prompted for my secret key's passphrase -
31 >>> this would allow decryption of the message. Providing that I
32 >>> replied to you and chose the "encrypt" option, the entire message,
33 >>> including any quotes would be encrypted.
34 >>>
35 >>> Hope this helps, Chris
36 >
37 >> So, this is why when I want to sign a message it asks me for the
38 >> password. I thought it was trying to do something wrong. Made me
39 >> scratch my head.
40 >
41 > To avoid an easy misunderstanding about what the "password" does:
42 >
43 > You are asked for a passphrase not because Chris used that passphrase to
44 > encrypt the message he sent you with (that would have been symmetric
45 > encryption and both of you would need to know in advance the secret
46 > passphrase). Instead, you are asked for a passphrase to decrypt your own
47 > private gpg key which is stored in encrypted format on your hard drive for
48 > security purposes. The private key once decrypted and loaded in memory will
49 > be used by your openpgp application to decrypt the message sent by Chris.
50 >
51 > This is asymmetric encryption: a sender can use your public key and their
52 > private key to encrypt a message to you, which only you can decrypt with your
53 > private key and the sender's public key. Look at the picture on the right in
54 > this page:
55 >
56 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography
57 >
58 > HTH
61 The password I was talking about is the one when I send a message. It
62 does ask for the password when Paul was sending a message. Those were
63 off list tho. Anyway, when I put the password in, I can read the email.
64 Otherwise, I can't read anything.
65
66 How sure are we that there is no back door the Government has to bypass
67 this? Are we 99% sure or about 50/50 with our fingers crossed?
68
69 Dale
70
72 --
73 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
74 how you interpreted my words!
75
76 Miss the compile output? Hint:
77 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"