From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] meta-packages and buildpkgonly
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 18:44:40
1 On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 11:14:34 +0100 (CET), Helmut Jarausch wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> nice -19 emerge -j4 --buildpgkonly kde-base/kde-meta
7 >>>
8 >>> but it takes next to no time instead of hours and
9 >>> hasn't build the binary packages without any error messages.
10 >>> What am I missing?
11 >>
12 >> --buildpkg only works if the dependent packages are installed, you cannot
13 >> build kmail-4.2 (for package or install) if kdelibs-4.2 is not installed.
14 >> That's a long way round of saying that you can't do what you want and
15 >> build all the KDE4 packages in advance.
16 >>
17 >> To minimise downtime, even though it increases the overall install time,
18 >> you could upgrade you your KDE3 install to 3.5.10. Then you can install
19 >> KDE 4.x alongside it.
20 >
21 > KDE 4.2 is slotted so I just built it as normal from within kde 4.1.4 while
22 > continuing to use the system. When the emerge finished, I continued in
23 > 4.1.4 for about an hour until I hit a stopping point, then dispatched-conf
24 > (no kde conf changes) logged out and chose 4.2 and logged back in (didn't
25 > even restart X). This was smoothest kde upgrade that I can recall, big
26 > kudos to the devs!
27 >
28 > A few hours into using 4.2 and no glitches! I'm actually able to use
29 > plasmoids without 10 second UI freezes. Whoop! And that's on nvidia
30 > 8600GTS and ~x86. First impression is 4.2 is ready for prime time.
31 >
32 > Have fun,
33 > Roy
34
35 Random KDE 4.2 impressions from a long-time KDE 3.x user:
36
37 I still get desktop crashes when trying to do things with plasmoids
38 (randomly) so I don't have any, and I question their usefulness
39 anyway. adding "desktop widgets" while simultaneously removing
40 traditional icons and trying to discourage people from "using the
41 desktop" (in vista as well as KDE) seems odd to me. I miss my dockable
42 weather applet from KDE 3.5 :( I don't want to have to minimize
43 everything I've got open just to see the temperature on a widget. But
44 that's not a problem because the weather widget in KDE4 doesn't work
45 for me anyway.
46
47 All konsole sessions run from the same procress, so when it crashed
48 while browsing fonts, it crashed every konsole i had open all at
49 once...
50
51 Default fonts (by family, serif, sans-serif, etc) in KDE4 were
52 corrupted for me in every version (maybe I'm missing some fonts that
53 the ebuild doesn't require?), I had to manually change every font to a
54 specific existing font to make them not look horrible (anti-aliasing)
55 and to fix the invisible text problem (blank text on add widget
56 dialog, blank text on taskbar).
57
58 I got X crashes constantly until I removed all nvidia settings from my
59 xorg.conf and just used the defaults. It has been good since then.
60
61 Performance/responsiveness (with desktop effects enabled) is nowhere
62 near as good as 3.5, obviously. Specifically konsole is SO SLOW. Using
63 the right (or wrong) combination of fonts and font settings can cause
64 simply running top in a konsole to use 99% CPU. Scrolling around in MC
65 with the arrow keys is sluggish. Disabling the KDE desktop effects
66 makes this problem go away, but then that's the only big improvement
67 over KDE 3.
68
69 KDE4 tries to automount discs and USB drives etc which I hate. I
70 haven't tried to disable it yet but it's on my list of things to do.
71
72 I do not use the GUI file manager stuff (in KDE3 or KDE4) so I can't
73 say whether that's any better or worse. KDE4 uses one-click to launch
74 stuff by default which is really annoying to me. I'm sure that can be
75 changed somewhere but again I haven't had time to mess with that yet.
76
77 Visually it looks like a total rip-off of Vista, including the new 4.2
78 taskbar. The default window borders theme is grey and I find it has
79 too little contrast, it's hard to tell which things are active/focused
80 and which are background. I've accidentally clicked the wrong X a few
81 times. :P
82
83 In KDE 4.0 and 4.1 I tried them for less than 1 day and gave up, going
84 back to 3.x. This time I'm trying to force myself to stick with KDE
85 4.2 for a while to see how it goes. Especially since it seems KDE3 is
86 going to reach unsupported state in the near future...
87
88 The lack of an upgrade from KDE3 to KDE4 is really annoying. I had
89 hundreds of sites in Akregator. Fired up KDE4 and it was blank. eek!
90 Tried copying over the data files, Akregator crashed every time.
91 Eventually I was able to copy just the definitions but not the message
92 data and that seems to have worked without crashing so far... but i
93 lost all my archived data. :(