From: Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] meta-packages and buildpkgonly
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 18:22:33
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 11:14:34 +0100 (CET), Helmut Jarausch wrote:
3 >
4 >> nice -19 emerge -j4 --buildpgkonly kde-base/kde-meta
5 >>
6 >> but it takes next to no time instead of hours and
7 >> hasn't build the binary packages without any error messages.
8 >> What am I missing?
9 >
10 > --buildpkg only works if the dependent packages are installed, you cannot
11 > build kmail-4.2 (for package or install) if kdelibs-4.2 is not installed.
12 > That's a long way round of saying that you can't do what you want and
13 > build all the KDE4 packages in advance.
14 >
15 > To minimise downtime, even though it increases the overall install time,
16 > you could upgrade you your KDE3 install to 3.5.10. Then you can install
17 > KDE 4.x alongside it.
18
19 KDE 4.2 is slotted so I just built it as normal from within kde 4.1.4
20 while continuing to use the system. When the emerge finished, I
21 continued in 4.1.4 for about an hour until I hit a stopping point, then
22 dispatched-conf (no kde conf changes) logged out and chose 4.2 and
23 logged back in (didn't even restart X). This was smoothest kde upgrade
24 that I can recall, big kudos to the devs!
25
26 A few hours into using 4.2 and no glitches! I'm actually able to use
27 plasmoids without 10 second UI freezes. Whoop! And that's on nvidia
28 8600GTS and ~x86. First impression is 4.2 is ready for prime time.
29
30 Have fun,
31 Roy