From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: About ready to move /usr, /var and /home to LVM.
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 00:54:27
1 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 12.04.2012 22:16, schrieb Michael Mol:
3 >> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 >>>> On 12/04/12 22:49, Dale wrote:
6 >>>>> Howdy,
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>> Well, it appears we got the init thingy working. I'm about ready to
9 >>>>> move things around since one of my drives is about full and I need a
10 >>>>> spare to move things around with.
11 >>>>>
12 > [...]
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> Anything else that could be a gotcha? I plan to move this twice. Once
15 >>>>> to the spare drive, repartition the OS drive then copy things back over
16 >>>>> again. It's been a while and with LVM about to be used, I hope it is
17 >>>>> the last time.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> Make sure this is really what you want. If *any* of the disks in the
20 >>>> LVM goes bad, you lose everything, not just the data on that single disk.
21 >>>>
22 >>>
23 >>> < dale goes to figure out a way around this one. >
24 >>>
25 >>> Thanks for that. I hadn't thought about that. If I tie two drives
26 >>> together, the file system spans both drives. One dies, the whole thing
27 >>> is broken as you say. Makes sense.
28 >>>
29 >>> < scratches chin > I think I can still make this work tho. Yea, I got
30 >>> a idea. It wasn't my original plan but this should work. Sure glad you
31 >>> mentioned that though. THANKS MUCH !!!
32 >>
33 >> This is why I do LVM on top of a RAID device.
36 > Or if you are short on disk space, you can also use LVM to mirror just
37 > /home.
41 I got backups of most important stuff but my almost full disk is videos.
42 LOTS of videos. I even found Gilligans Island. lol
43
44 Right now, I have a 160Gb which is for the OS itself, a 250Gb which is
45 what I plan to copy to and back from and a 750Gb for the videos. I plan
46 to buy a 2Tb or so drive as soon as I can. Buggers are pricey for me.
47 I want to get a good one since I have no way to back that up, yet. I
48 plan to later.
49
50 Dale
51
56 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
57 how you interpreted my words!
58
59 Miss the compile output? Hint:
60 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"