From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: About ready to move /usr, /var and /home to LVM.
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 21:21:50
1 Am 12.04.2012 22:16, schrieb Michael Mol:
2 > On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> On 12/04/12 22:49, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Howdy,
6 >>>>
7 >>>> Well, it appears we got the init thingy working. I'm about ready to
8 >>>> move things around since one of my drives is about full and I need a
9 >>>> spare to move things around with.
10 >>>>
11 [...]
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Anything else that could be a gotcha? I plan to move this twice. Once
14 >>>> to the spare drive, repartition the OS drive then copy things back over
15 >>>> again. It's been a while and with LVM about to be used, I hope it is
16 >>>> the last time.
17 >>>
18 >>> Make sure this is really what you want. If *any* of the disks in the
19 >>> LVM goes bad, you lose everything, not just the data on that single disk.
20 >>>
21 >>
22 >> < dale goes to figure out a way around this one. >
23 >>
24 >> Thanks for that. I hadn't thought about that. If I tie two drives
25 >> together, the file system spans both drives. One dies, the whole thing
26 >> is broken as you say. Makes sense.
27 >>
28 >> < scratches chin > I think I can still make this work tho. Yea, I got
29 >> a idea. It wasn't my original plan but this should work. Sure glad you
30 >> mentioned that though. THANKS MUCH !!!
31 >
32 > This is why I do LVM on top of a RAID device.
35 Or if you are short on disk space, you can also use LVM to mirror just
36 /home.