From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: About ready to move /usr, /var and /home to LVM.
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 20:19:24
1 On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 12/04/12 22:49, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Howdy,
5 >>>
6 >>> Well, it appears we got the init thingy working.  I'm about ready to
7 >>> move things around since one of my drives is about full and I need a
8 >>> spare to move things around with.  I use cp -a to copy things while
9 >>> booted from a USB stick do hicky.  So far, that has always worked and is
10 >>> pretty fast.  I do have a question tho.
11 >>>
12 >>> When I copy this over, do I still need to copy over null, console and
13 >>> such to /dev?  I know I don't need everything in /dev but do recall
14 >>> needing those in the past.  Has this changed since I'm using the init
15 >>> thingy?  Am I forgetting one?  I thought there was three.
16 >>>
17 >>> Anything else that could be a gotcha?  I plan to move this twice.  Once
18 >>> to the spare drive, repartition the OS drive then copy things back over
19 >>> again.  It's been a while and with LVM about to be used, I hope it is
20 >>> the last time.
21 >>
22 >> Make sure this is really what you want.  If *any* of the disks in the
23 >> LVM goes bad, you lose everything, not just the data on that single disk.
29 > < dale goes to figure out a way around this one.  >
30 >
31 > Thanks for that.  I hadn't thought about that.  If I tie two drives
32 > together, the file system spans both drives.  One dies, the whole thing
33 > is broken as you say.  Makes sense.
34 >
35 > < scratches chin >   I think I can still make this work tho.  Yea, I got
36 > a idea.  It wasn't my original plan but this should work.  Sure glad you
37 > mentioned that though.  THANKS MUCH !!!
38
39 This is why I do LVM on top of a RAID device.
42 :wq