From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: About ready to move /usr, /var and /home to LVM.
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 20:12:05
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 12/04/12 22:49, Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> Well, it appears we got the init thingy working. I'm about ready to
6 >> move things around since one of my drives is about full and I need a
7 >> spare to move things around with. I use cp -a to copy things while
8 >> booted from a USB stick do hicky. So far, that has always worked and is
9 >> pretty fast. I do have a question tho.
10 >>
11 >> When I copy this over, do I still need to copy over null, console and
12 >> such to /dev? I know I don't need everything in /dev but do recall
13 >> needing those in the past. Has this changed since I'm using the init
14 >> thingy? Am I forgetting one? I thought there was three.
15 >>
16 >> Anything else that could be a gotcha? I plan to move this twice. Once
17 >> to the spare drive, repartition the OS drive then copy things back over
18 >> again. It's been a while and with LVM about to be used, I hope it is
19 >> the last time.
20 >
21 > Make sure this is really what you want. If *any* of the disks in the
22 > LVM goes bad, you lose everything, not just the data on that single disk.
28 < dale goes to figure out a way around this one. >
29
30 Thanks for that. I hadn't thought about that. If I tie two drives
31 together, the file system spans both drives. One dies, the whole thing
32 is broken as you say. Makes sense.
33
34 < scratches chin > I think I can still make this work tho. Yea, I got
35 a idea. It wasn't my original plan but this should work. Sure glad you
36 mentioned that though. THANKS MUCH !!!
37
38 Dale
39
43 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
44 how you interpreted my words!
45
46 Miss the compile output? Hint:
47 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"