From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mdadm fails to add drive to arry
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 06:27:56
1 > I think you forgot to specify the mode. From man mdadm:
2 > SYNOPSIS
3 > mdadm [mode] <raiddevice> [options] <component-devices>
4 > If a device is given before any options, or if the first option is
5 > --add, --fail, or --remove, then the MANAGE mode is assume. Anything
6 > other than these will CAUSE THE MISC MODE TO BE ASSUMED.
7 > (emphasis added)
8 > So I think you need "mdadm manage /dev/md4 --add /dev/hdj1". Or
9 > "mdadm --add /dev/md4 /dev/hdj1".
10
11 I appreciate the feed back. Here is what I am getting.
12
13 ~ # mdadm manage /dev/md4 --add /dev/hdj1
14 mdadm: An option must be given to set the mode before a second device is listed
15
16 ~ # mdadm --add /dev/md4 /dev/hdj1
17 mdadm: add new device failed for /dev/hdj1 as 2: Invalid argument
18
19 and for kicks :)
20 ~ # mdadm manage --add /dev/md4 /dev/hdj1
21 mdadm: error opening manage: No such file or directory
22 ~ # mdadm --add manage /dev/md4 /dev/hdj1
23 mdadm: error opening manage: No such file or directory
24
25 Regards,
26
27 Richard Broersma Jr.