From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mdadm fails to add drive to arry
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 06:15:20
1 On 9/1/06, Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I recently had a drive failure in with a Raid 1 setup. However, for testing purposes I tried to
3 > re-add the drive to the array after I removed it. However I ran into the following error message.
4 >
5 > ~ # mdadm /dev/md4 --add /dev/hdj1
6 > mdadm: add new device failed for /dev/hdj1 as 2: Invalid argument
7 >
8 > Where is the invalid argument? Or is this error message you get when it is time to buy a new hard
9
10 I think you forgot to specify the mode. From man mdadm:
11
12 """
13 SYNOPSIS
14 mdadm [mode] <raiddevice> [options] <component-devices>
15 """
16
17 and
18
19 """
20 If a device is given before any options, or if the first option is
21 --add, --fail, or --remove, then the MANAGE mode is assume. Anything
22 other than these will CAUSE THE MISC MODE TO BE ASSUMED.
23 """
24 (emphasis added)
25
26 So I think you need "mdadm manage /dev/md4 --add /dev/hdj1". Or
27 "mdadm --add /dev/md4 /dev/hdj1".
28
29 This isn't based on an actual test, just reading the documentation, so I HTH.
30
31 -Richard
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list