From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Living in NGL: was: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 22:18:34
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 03:53:28PM -0600 schrieb Dale:
3 >
4 >>> Did you ever tell us the exact CPU you have in there? All I can remember is
5 >>> it has 4 cores. And some AMD processor with a II in its name, but that was
6 >>> you main rig, right?
7 >> It took some digging around but I found out it is a AMD Phenom 9750 quad
8 >> core.
9 > Great! That’s a model from 2008:
10 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Phenom_processors#%22Agena%22_(B2/B3,_65_nm,_Quad-core)
11 >
12 >>  It lists some extensions but I don't see any that are related to
13 >> encryption.  No AES or whatever for sure.  Unless I missed it.  I used
14 > The instruction set’s original proposal is about as young as your processor:
15 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES_instruction_set
16 >
17 >> My main rig has a AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor and 32GBs of memory.
18 >> I'm thinking about a new rig eventually.  Rig is getting a little age on
19 >> it.  ;-)
20 > At least it has AES ;-)
21 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_FX_processors#Piledriver_Core_(Vishera,_32_nm)
22 >
23 > I’ve been thinking about a new build for about a year now, aiming at a
24 > power-efficient Ryzen 5700G. But I can’t let go of my trusty old (8 years)
25 > i5-4590.
29 What worries me, a cap on the mobo deciding to take a long break and let
30 the stink out.  I checked when I bought it, they do use high dollar caps
31 but still, they age no matter how well they are made.  I do have a
32 backup mobo tho.  Current is a Gigabyte 970 but backup is a 870.  It
33 will even run the same kernel I think.
34
35 I just need to make time to find out where I get the most bang for the
36 buck.  I read a few weeks ago that Intel is the most cost effective
37 now.  It used to be that power compared to money that AMD was a much
38 better deal.  Things have changed.  That's all for another day tho.
39 Gotta save up some money.  Likely need about $1,000 or maybe even more.
40 I could reuse some things tho.  Mobo, CPU and memory being the big
41 things I'd need to even start.  Maybe a power supply too.  My P/S is
42 only a few years old tho.  Fairly modern.  Plenty of watts.
43
44 One of these days.
45
46 Dale