From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Living in NGL: was: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 22:08:11
1 Am Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 03:53:28PM -0600 schrieb Dale:
2
3 > > Did you ever tell us the exact CPU you have in there? All I can remember is
4 > > it has 4 cores. And some AMD processor with a II in its name, but that was
5 > > you main rig, right?
6 >
7 > It took some digging around but I found out it is a AMD Phenom 9750 quad
8 > core.
9
10 Great! That’s a model from 2008:
11 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Phenom_processors#%22Agena%22_(B2/B3,_65_nm,_Quad-core)
12
13 > It lists some extensions but I don't see any that are related to
14 > encryption.  No AES or whatever for sure.  Unless I missed it.  I used
15
16 The instruction set’s original proposal is about as young as your processor:
17 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES_instruction_set
18
19 > My main rig has a AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor and 32GBs of memory.
20 > I'm thinking about a new rig eventually.  Rig is getting a little age on
21 > it.  ;-)
22
23 At least it has AES ;-)
24 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_FX_processors#Piledriver_Core_(Vishera,_32_nm)
25
26 I’ve been thinking about a new build for about a year now, aiming at a
27 power-efficient Ryzen 5700G. But I can’t let go of my trusty old (8 years)
28 i5-4590.
31 Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
32 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
33 So this unvaccinated man comes in no bar ...