From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommended amd64 box for Gentoo
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 08:11:59
1 What remaining software issues are there with 32-bit stuff on a 64-bit
2 machine? Last time I was thinking about going 64-bit on my machine, I
3 was scared off by the docs on the Gentoo website. I now understand that
4 they were out-of-date about some problems that have now been solved.
5 BTW, I have schlockwave-trash turned off 99.9% of the time and I do not
6 soil my machine with Sun's bloated OpenOffice. Between OpenOffice and
7 all its dependacies (including tons of Java garbage), I figure that
8 trashing OO has saved me at least a gig of disk space.
9
10 My main worries would be proprietary stuff like RealPlayer and the
11 win32codecs portion of mplayer.
14 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
15 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
16 --