From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sddm-helper and high memory usage
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 17:14:20
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, 20 May 2020 16:56:29 BST Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Well, I didn't know I could kill that thing. I been logging out and
5 >> back in which annoys the stuffing out of me. I have to close three
6 >> browsers, several file managers plus whatever else I am doing before I
7 >> can logout. Then I have to reopen all that when I log back in.
8 > Why do you have to do that yourself? I'd have thought that sddm would take
9 > care of it for you. It does for me.
10
11 I have a saved session but if I restart everything at once, my internet
12 chokes and some tabs fail to load.  So, I have the basic stuff in a
13 saved session but still have to do some myself.  Of course I close stuff
14 before logging out just to be safe.
17 >> On top of that, I have to wait for a download to stop as well. Yea, it's
18 >> annoying, putting it mildly. lol I thought if I killed it, it would
19 >> take the whole GUI thingy with it . Since it is still chewing away,
20 >> makes me think about the Pacman days, I'll kill that thing in a few
21 >> minutes, after closing important stuff first just in case.
22 > Whenever an update changes a lot of GUI stuff I drop to a VT and tell it "/etc/
23 > init.d/xdm restart && logout". That ought to be equivalent to killing sddm but
24 > kinder.
28 In this case, just logging out and right back in works.  The first time
29 I did it, I switched to a terminal and checked after logging out.  The
30 memory sddm was using was already down to almost nothing.  I knew then
31 that logging out and right back in was enough.  It only takes a few
32 seconds to log out and back in but it is annoying because at times, I
33 may have 40 tabs open.  Those have to reload as well which with my DSL,
34 takes a while.
35
36 After a update, especially a KDE or qt update, I logout and go to boot
37 runlevel and back.  That restarts everything KDE plus others that may
38 need restarting as well.  I find some stuff is real touchy after updates.
39
40 Dale
41