From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sddm-helper and high memory usage
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 16:23:24
1 On Wednesday, 20 May 2020 16:56:29 BST Dale wrote:
2
3 > Well, I didn't know I could kill that thing. I been logging out and
4 > back in which annoys the stuffing out of me. I have to close three
5 > browsers, several file managers plus whatever else I am doing before I
6 > can logout. Then I have to reopen all that when I log back in.
7
8 Why do you have to do that yourself? I'd have thought that sddm would take
9 care of it for you. It does for me.
10
11 > On top of that, I have to wait for a download to stop as well. Yea, it's
12 > annoying, putting it mildly. lol I thought if I killed it, it would
13 > take the whole GUI thingy with it . Since it is still chewing away,
14 > makes me think about the Pacman days, I'll kill that thing in a few
15 > minutes, after closing important stuff first just in case.
16
17 Whenever an update changes a lot of GUI stuff I drop to a VT and tell it "/etc/
18 init.d/xdm restart && logout". That ought to be equivalent to killing sddm but
19 kinder.
22 Regards,
23 Peter.