From: "Anthony E. Caudel" <acaudel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Depclean question
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 07:22:44
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 7/17/06, Anthony E. Caudel <acaudel@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I noticed that many of them are dependencies of virtual/x11 so I added
4 >> that to my world file, re-ran the --depclean and this time got only
5 >> about half the recommendations. Was adding virtual/x11 to my world file
6 >> the proper thing to do? Wonder why it wasn't there in the first place?
7 >
8 > Probably not. Prior to modular-X, any package that depended on
9 > anything X related would depend on virtual/x11, which originally could
10 > be provided by xfree86 or x.org, but now just x.org.
11 >
12 > As part of porting to modular-X, all (well, almost all) packages that
13 > previously depended on virtual/x11 were updated to depend on _either_
14 > virtual/x11, or the specific modular-X package[s] that they really
15 > needed.
16 >
17 > So the above depclean output means that none of those packages are in
18 > your world file, and nothing in your world file depends directly or
19 > indirectly on them, based on your current USE flags. Specifically,
20 > nothing really depends on virtual/x11, because the dependancies are
21 > satified by the various modular-X packages you have installed.
22 >
23 > So the proper thing to do here is probably add the specific apps that
24 > you actually care about and use to world.
25 >
26 > -Richard
27 Thats a little confusing because most of those are libraries and are
28 dependencies only of virtual/x11.
29
30 Tony
33 Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
34 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
35 -- Benjamin Franklin
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list