From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Depclean question
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 06:47:46
1 On 7/17/06, Anthony E. Caudel <acaudel@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I noticed that many of them are dependencies of virtual/x11 so I added
3 > that to my world file, re-ran the --depclean and this time got only
4 > about half the recommendations. Was adding virtual/x11 to my world file
5 > the proper thing to do? Wonder why it wasn't there in the first place?
6
7 Probably not. Prior to modular-X, any package that depended on
8 anything X related would depend on virtual/x11, which originally could
9 be provided by xfree86 or x.org, but now just x.org.
10
11 As part of porting to modular-X, all (well, almost all) packages that
12 previously depended on virtual/x11 were updated to depend on _either_
13 virtual/x11, or the specific modular-X package[s] that they really
14 needed.
15
16 So the above depclean output means that none of those packages are in
17 your world file, and nothing in your world file depends directly or
18 indirectly on them, based on your current USE flags. Specifically,
19 nothing really depends on virtual/x11, because the dependancies are
20 satified by the various modular-X packages you have installed.
21
22 So the proper thing to do here is probably add the specific apps that
23 you actually care about and use to world.
24
25 -Richard
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list