From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: amd64 installation: which file system?
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:11:20
1 Richard Fish <bigfish <at> asmallpond.org> writes:
4 > > My question now is which file system would be best to use? I have used
5 > > reiserfs with great success, but reiser4 or xfs look appealing.
6
7 > I would stay far away from reiser4. From what I can tell, reiser4 may
8 > never make it into the mainline kernel. Xfs and ext3 are both very
9 > good choices. Personally I have a /very slight/ preference for xfs,
10 > because of xfs_fsr and the tuning options available in /proc.
11
12 I understand the comments about reiser4, although folks claim the performance
13 is wonderful. But do you think that xfs will outperform reiserfs (3 series?).
16 > > Recommendations for a file system that is mostly going to be challenged
17 > > by streaming video (mpeg, h.264 dirac, ogg theora....) is of keen
18 > > interest. Any benchmarks available?
19
20 > Partitioning is probably the most important thing you could do for the
21 > performance of this system. Make a separate filesystem for the
22 > video work, so it doesn't have to compete for block/extent allocations
23 > with the rest of your system.
24
25 Agreeded.
26
27 I have a problem I thought I had solved. I have tried
28 Partition Magic 7.0, repartitioning on the experimental livecd for
29 amd64 and now the livecd from Gparted. All allow resizing of the
30 85 Gig ntfs partition, but, when I go to commit(run). All three
31 fail. No matter what I do, I cannot reduce the 85Gig down to 30gig.
32
33 This URL suggest defragging the windows (NTFS partition) to be able
34 to condense the XP OS:
35 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Linux_after_Windows
36
37 Resizing this partition on an HP8000 portable should not be so
38 difficult. What am I missing? Several site allude to Microsoft
39 trying to make it difficult for Linux users.....
40
41 Ideas?
46 James
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list