From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: -unicode USE flag
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 18:23:23
1 On 5/13/06, Sven Köhler <skoehler@×××.de> wrote:
2 > > I wonder if anyone could explain the USE flag 'unicode' better than
3 > > the Gentoo description located here:
4 > >
5 > > http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml
6 > >
7 > > unicode Adds support for Unicode
8 > >
9 > > I think the person who wrote this knows too much. ;-)
10 > >
11 > > What is unicode and why might an end user want it or need it?
12 >
13 > What the "unicode"-use-flag does, depends on the package you emerge.
14 >
15 > For example while emergeing baselayout, it turns on a switch in
16 > /etc/rc.conf - nothing more.
17 >
18 > On the other hand, while emerge mc, it turns on the support of mc
19 > (Midnight Command) for a unicode/utf8-console.
20 >
21 > And if you emerge wxGTK, the unicode-use-flag triggers the build of the
22 > unicode-aware version of wxGTK.
23 >
24 > So in general, i prefer my console- and my X11-apps to have unicode
25 > support. So i have the use-flag turned on, but i disabled it for
26 > baselayout since i use a non-utf8 locale.
29 > Greetings
30 > Sven
31
32 Sven,
33 Thanks for the descriptions. However what I asked was 'What is
34 unicode and why might an end user want it or need it?" and not "What
35 does enabling a unicode flag for a specific emerge do?"
36
37 Sorry - I thought it was clear from my description. Everyone is
38 using the word 'unicode' in the definition of 'unicode', or so it is
39 seeming to me. I've managed to get far enough to understand it's a
40 different way of expressing font usage, I guess, but I don't
41 understand when someone would want it or when they would not need it.
42
43 Is there a Gentoo doc somewhere that I haven't read yet that says
44 'If you are in the U.S. and use Gentoo on a mostly desktop system
45 browsing the web, etc., then you should enable unicode', etc.?
46
47 Thanks,
48 Mark
49