From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: -unicode USE flag
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 17:56:12
1 > I wonder if anyone could explain the USE flag 'unicode' better than
2 > the Gentoo description located here:
3 >
4 > http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml
5 >
6 > unicode Adds support for Unicode
7 >
8 > I think the person who wrote this knows too much. ;-)
9 >
10 > What is unicode and why might an end user want it or need it?
11
12 What the "unicode"-use-flag does, depends on the package you emerge.
13
14 For example while emergeing baselayout, it turns on a switch in
15 /etc/rc.conf - nothing more.
16
17 On the other hand, while emerge mc, it turns on the support of mc
18 (Midnight Command) for a unicode/utf8-console.
19
20 And if you emerge wxGTK, the unicode-use-flag triggers the build of the
21 unicode-aware version of wxGTK.
22
23 So in general, i prefer my console- and my X11-apps to have unicode
24 support. So i have the use-flag turned on, but i disabled it for
25 baselayout since i use a non-utf8 locale.
28 Greetings
29 Sven