From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32GB RAM and Swap
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 23:11:49
1 On Saturday, 2 May 2020 00:09:47 BST Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 01/05/20 21:29, Dale wrote:
3 > > It gets really slow to respond when it uses swap but it beats crashing.
4 > > Just set swapiness to a low number. I think mine is set to 10.
5 > >
6 > > Given the cheapness of hard drives, I'm not sure why having several
7 > > gigabytes of swap space is of much concern. I have the same amount of
8 > > ram as you and I have a 12GB swap space. I use LVM so I can grow it if
9 > > needed or just add another swap space. I might add, I've seen times
10 > > where it gets used.
11 >
12 > That first paragraph is why too much swap space is bad - if an app goes
13 > rogue it can kill system response and make regaining control of the
14 > system a nightmare.
15 >
16 > Accidentally or on purpose, if a system runs out of ram and starts
17 > thrashing, you're in big trouble if it's an app eating memory like no
18 > tomorrow.
19 >
20 > Cheers,
21 > Wol
22
23 This may help responsiveness when it happens:
24
25 echo bfq > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler