From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32GB RAM and Swap
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 23:09:55
1 On 01/05/20 21:29, Dale wrote:
2 > It gets really slow to respond when it uses swap but it beats crashing.
3 > Just set swapiness to a low number. I think mine is set to 10.
4 >
5 > Given the cheapness of hard drives, I'm not sure why having several
6 > gigabytes of swap space is of much concern. I have the same amount of
7 > ram as you and I have a 12GB swap space. I use LVM so I can grow it if
8 > needed or just add another swap space. I might add, I've seen times
9 > where it gets used.
10
11 That first paragraph is why too much swap space is bad - if an app goes
12 rogue it can kill system response and make regaining control of the
13 system a nightmare.
14
15 Accidentally or on purpose, if a system runs out of ram and starts
16 thrashing, you're in big trouble if it's an app eating memory like no
17 tomorrow.
18
19 Cheers,
20 Wol