From: Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Are the video files there, or aren't they?
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:30:46
I've had a lot of problems with X today.  I finally got X back up, but
when I went to check MythTV, it didn't work.  I started tracking down
the problem.  I went into mythtv-setup and it said that it couldn't find
any video inputs, so I examined /dev/v4l/video0.  What I found was
really confusing:

camille ~ # ls -l /dev/v4l
total 0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81,  64 Feb 18 09:20 radio0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 224 Feb 18 09:20 vbi0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81,   0 Feb 18 09:20 video0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81,  24 Feb 18 09:20 video24
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81,  32 Feb 18 09:20 video32
camille ~ # cat /dev/v4l/video0
cat: /dev/v4l/video0: No such device or address

Is it there, or isn't it?  I don't know if it matters, but when I was
trying to fix the X problem, I built and booted with a new kernel:

camille ~ # uname -a
Linux camille 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 #1 SMP Wed Feb 18 14:20:01 CST 2009 i686
GNU/Linux

Please help!