From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Manipulating a mobile external harddisk
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 15:45:26
1 On Tuesday 02 Feb 2016 09:38:33 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > The harddisk in question is this little external
4 > USB hd, which is used for data storage only.
5 > It is by far no server disk or anything else
6 > high-end-24/7-thingy... ;)
7 >
8 > Best regards,
9 > Meino
10
11 I was running a 350GB WD Passport plugged into an embedded SoC device, for 6
12 years non-stop, except when power cuts caused the embedded device to
13 stop/crash, or when I rebooted it (less than a dozen times a year). When it
14 died on me I replaced it with another WD Passport, this time 1TB. It's been
15 running for 1.5 years so far. I have never interfered with whatever its own
16 USB controller wants to do with its spin cycles. I never saw a reason to.
17 --
18 Regards,
19 Mick