From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Manipulating a mobile external harddisk
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 08:38:56
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [16-02-02 09:28]:
2 > Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > for storing not so often used data I bought a 2.5" external USB
6 > > harddisk.
7 > >
8 > > This little beast has a very small timespan before it goes idle
9 > > and (from the time needed to be woken up) it seems, it parks its
10 > > heads then.
11 > >
12 > > The main usage of the disk to be connected to my PC from time to
13 > > time, copy some data and unconnect it again. It will never be used
14 > > with a laptop or such (accu driven machinery).
15 > >
16 > > Is it advisable to try to longen the active time before the disk
17 > > goes idle to prolong the lifetime ?
18 > > Is it possible to do this with hdparm?
19 > > It is a sane idea? ;)
20 > >
21 > > Thank you very much in advance for any help !
22 > > Best regards,
23 > > Meino
27 > I'm no expert by any means. I've read all sort of opinions on this.
28 > I've read that it is better to leave puters running 24/7 so that there
29 > is no cool/hot cycles and that it makes things last longer. I've also
30 > read just the opposite for different reasons. Which is true, not sure.
31 > I know I leave my machine running 24/7 and hardware wise, it has worked
32 > well plus I don't have to wait for boot up and such either. I might
33 > add, I'm on my puter a LOT. Even when I am asleep, I have it
34 > downloading something, usually TV shows or something. That is why I
35 > have a 3TB drive that is almost full. I do have a backup drive now
36 > tho. ;-)
37 >
38 > I would also suspect that this may also depend on how the drive is made
39 > and what it is engineered to handle. If a drive is made with a good
40 > solid design for parking those heads a lot, then it should handle them.
41 > If it is not designed to handle it, well, it may not end well. Maybe
42 > research that model and see if you can find the limits on it, if there
43 > is any, info or limits.
44 >
45 > Alan usually has some good info to share on this sort of topic. He
46 > deals with a lot of servers and other hardware. Maybe he can provide
47 > more info or a link to some. It's a interesting question tho.
48 >
49 > Dale
50 >
51 > :-) :-)
56 Hi @all,
57
58 thanks for the infos so far.
59
60 Just to correct me if I got it wrong expressed
61 (sorry, I am no native english speaker...)
62
63 The harddisk in question is this little external
64 USB hd, which is used for data storage only.
65 It is by far no server disk or anything else
66 high-end-24/7-thingy... ;)
67
68 Best regards,
69 Meino