From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Manipulating a mobile external harddisk
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 08:17:04
1 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > for storing not so often used data I bought a 2.5" external USB
5 > harddisk.
6 >
7 > This little beast has a very small timespan before it goes idle
8 > and (from the time needed to be woken up) it seems, it parks its
9 > heads then.
10 >
11 > The main usage of the disk to be connected to my PC from time to
12 > time, copy some data and unconnect it again. It will never be used
13 > with a laptop or such (accu driven machinery).
14 >
15 > Is it advisable to try to longen the active time before the disk
16 > goes idle to prolong the lifetime ?
17 > Is it possible to do this with hdparm?
18 > It is a sane idea? ;)
19 >
20 > Thank you very much in advance for any help !
21 > Best regards,
22 > Meino
26 I'm no expert by any means. I've read all sort of opinions on this.
27 I've read that it is better to leave puters running 24/7 so that there
28 is no cool/hot cycles and that it makes things last longer. I've also
29 read just the opposite for different reasons. Which is true, not sure.
30 I know I leave my machine running 24/7 and hardware wise, it has worked
31 well plus I don't have to wait for boot up and such either. I might
32 add, I'm on my puter a LOT. Even when I am asleep, I have it
33 downloading something, usually TV shows or something. That is why I
34 have a 3TB drive that is almost full. I do have a backup drive now
35 tho. ;-)
36
37 I would also suspect that this may also depend on how the drive is made
38 and what it is engineered to handle. If a drive is made with a good
39 solid design for parking those heads a lot, then it should handle them.
40 If it is not designed to handle it, well, it may not end well. Maybe
41 research that model and see if you can find the limits on it, if there
42 is any, info or limits.
43
44 Alan usually has some good info to share on this sort of topic. He
45 deals with a lot of servers and other hardware. Maybe he can provide
46 more info or a link to some. It's a interesting question tho.
47
48 Dale
49