From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pdf viewing suggestions?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 19:03:15
1 [snips from daid / Willie Wong]
2 > > evince will take an arbitrarily long time to print documents that are long
3 > > or have big figures.
4 >
5 > That's odd. I use evince at work (though not on gentoo; work computer
6 > is a heavily customized version of scientific linux) and I don't have
7 > the printing problem.
8 [snip]
9
10 [also sorry if I used HTML formatting earlier, sometimes it is turned
11 on for me and I forget]
12
13 It could have been this crazy pdf I was printing, which was one of the
14 first times I was really using evince a lot since other things were
15 also complaining. I had pdftk'ed different files, and I think some of
16 them were like US Letter and others were A4 and others weren't
17 specified. Well, I kind of erased that experience from my memory, but
18 I know almost everything on different OSes didn't like what I'd done,
19 whatever it was. So this could be a very bad test case. There was
20 something else in my mind from testing it that made me kind of shiver
21 in a bad way, but I forget. It should be a good program from what I
22 know, however.
23
24 > > The interface for xpdf is pretty lame (especially default printing), but
25 > > it's quick as demons chasing bats out of hell.
26 >
27 > But it works. It is my pdf viewer of choice at home.
28 [snip]
29
30 I'll check out what I can do for printing from it and maybe making it prettier.
31
32 > You probably know this already, but gv doesn't work too well a lot of
33 > times.
34
35 Yeah, I kinda forget, but I assume it wasn't removed from my world for
36 no reason at all.
37
38 > Unfortunately there aren't that many pdf viewing softwares to choose from.
39
40 We seem to be doing well so far!
41
42 ~daid