From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Screwed up swap while trying to get hibernate working; help
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 03:41:37
1 On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 01:51:58PM -0400, Joshua Murphy wrote
2
3 > Umm... if you're hibernating to the same swap partition you're using
4 > when the system's live... I'm pretty sure you can't do that... even if
5 > everything does manage to fit, having sort out what belongs back in
6 > ram and what doesn't ... it's not a very sane thing to expect the
7 > kernel+userspace tools there to do. If I recall from last time I
8 > considered setting it up on my system, software hibernate needs an
9 > otherwise unused swap partition that's just a little bigger than the
10 > amount of physical ram in your system.
11
12 Which begs the next question... howsabout if I turn swap off as part
13 of the hibernation process? I.e. in /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf
14 include the lines...
15
16 OnSuspend 00 swapoff /dev/sda6
17 OnResume 00 swapon /dev/sda6
18
19 or for that matter, what's the worst that can happen if I turn off
20 swap alltogether, and run out of memory? Is it catastrophic, or merely
21 inconvenient (additional programs refuse to launch)?
24 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>