From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Screwed up swap while trying to get hibernate working; help
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 22:58:31
1 On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 01:51:58PM -0400, Joshua Murphy wrote
3 >
4 >> Umm... if you're hibernating to the same swap partition you're using
5 >> when the system's live... I'm pretty sure you can't do that... even if
6 >> everything does manage to fit, having sort out what belongs back in
7 >> ram and what doesn't ... it's not a very sane thing to expect the
8 >> kernel+userspace tools there to do. If I recall from last time I
9 >> considered setting it up on my system, software hibernate needs an
10 >> otherwise unused swap partition that's just a little bigger than the
11 >> amount of physical ram in your system.
12 >
13 > Which begs the next question... howsabout if I turn swap off as part
14 > of the hibernation process? I.e. in /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf
15 > include the lines...
16 >
17 > OnSuspend 00 swapoff /dev/sda6
18 > OnResume 00 swapon /dev/sda6
19 >
20 > or for that matter, what's the worst that can happen if I turn off
21 > swap alltogether, and run out of memory? Is it catastrophic, or merely
22 > inconvenient (additional programs refuse to launch)?
23 >
24 > --
25 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26
27 Well, aside from pointing toward the place where I was corrected... I
28 *can* answer what happens when you run out of ram... or ram+swap,
29 actually, if you have swap. It can either kill processes of its own
30 accord or simply deny new processes and forks of old processes. The
31 article below has a much better explanation...
32
33 http://lwn.net/Articles/104179/
36 Poison [BLX]
37 Joshua M. Murphy