From: Sid Spry <sid@××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] best CAD app for industrial machining/molding?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 03:41:16
1 On Sun, Apr 18, 2021, at 9:47 PM, caveman رجل الكهف 穴居人 wrote:
2 > hi.
3 >
4 > i want to design complex shapes, and then
5 > send them to some manufacturers. so my
6 > drawings need to be very accurate, and
7 > compatible with the manufacturers.
8 >
9 > plus, it would be nice to have the ability
10 > of being able to test how structurally
11 > strong my design is. e.g. how well it
12 > supports loads, and where are the pressured
13 > points, etc.
14 >
15 > thoughts on what to use? should i use
16 > autocad? else? how should i think? any
17 > tips?
20 As the other poster has suggested, FreeCAD can *technically*
21 do all of these things. But the biggest issue with it is that its constraint
22 engine is not as advanced (by way of heuristics) as that of Autodesk
23 or Solidworks. Practically what this means is if you change a base feature
24 FreeCAD will give you gibberish instead of what might make sense in
25 context.
26
27 If you are a hobbyist, and are not very RMS-inclined, then just using
28 a subscription to Fusion 360 will be fine. It is what a lot of hobbyists
29 use. In fact, even if I were RMS-inclined, I'd probably use Fusion 360
30 for prototyping and *then* put the design into FreeCAD.
31
32 Fusion 360 will do stress analysis for free, I think. The other CFD
33 analyses are paid, and can run upwards of $13k/yr, so in case you need
34 them it would be worth it to use FreeCAD.